Chinese Tea

This past weekend looked a lot differently than I had planned it would look on Friday. See, I look forward all week to the weekend, simply because it means time alone with my husband. We are in this precious season of life, where weekends are spent laughing, sleeping in, eating at good restaurants, long car rides, and spending time with friends & family. It is a beautiful season, & I am loving it.

Saturday morning Jonny was coughing, sneezing and sleeping. Cue my excitement. The man literally slept all day on Saturday. While everyone else was at the beach taking selfies with their kids and their husbands, I was rediscovering my friendship with the broom & mop. I cleaned the kitchen, did all the laundry, vacuumed, and went grocery shopping {because we eat clean now} which also requires like 4 hours of food prep. I was dissatisfied, angry & frustrated that while the world was celebrating the beautiful southern California weather, I was vacuuming.

Jonny's sickness naturally was with us all weekend. So we braved church on Sunday, and he came home & slept. Oh, I also must add that we had our "cheat meal" on Sunday after church. The Habit cheeseburgers & french fries never tasted so delicious. Jonny kindly let me run to target & grab some new sheets for our bed. (Which let me just say this. I am a wild, crazy soul. I redecorate our house like every month. For every holiday, I have a new dish towel, and printable to put in frames in our home. The man never says a word. He lets me be me, and lets our house look like a different place every month or so.) So when I asked him if I could get the cute gold chevron sheets, he says "of course Ellie, I don't mind." The truth is, he probably could care less, but he may not even know, it's one of the million ways in which he loves me. He let's me be me, and I am so grateful.

He came home and slept for a few more hours, while I did our food prep for the week. This is a new development in our home: We re-joined Crossfit and we are eating clean. We both put on a few "happy marriage" pounds, and they need to hit-the-road. It has been one week. We have been doing really well, and I am proud of us. I'm sure there will be more about that in the future.

After literally four hours of food prep & every dish/ utensil in our kitchen being used, Jonny made his way downstairs. He asked me if I wanted to go get a massage. Hello? YES! Naturally. I have been slaving over this spinach, broccoli and chicken for hours. Get me out of this house. We should have frequent massage miles. It's a favorite for us. We go to the $20/hour massage places, and Let.Me.Tell.You. THEY ARE FABULOUS.

However I am reminded why it's $20/hour in the middle of my massage, when the phone rings, and the man at the front speaks loudly, and then serves the people waiting for their turn Chinese tea.
Yesterday mid-massage, I literally laughed OUT LOUD. The man who I assumes runs/owns the massage place, starts serving this woman who is waiting, chinese tea. They are talking extremely loud, and she starts taking pictures. She then asks the man "can I take some pictures to show my friends I am having Chinese tea?" I wanted to blurt out "Lady, you already took like 5 pictures! Why ask now?" But I couldn't say anything because the kind man who was giving me my massage was vaulted on top of me (because he was smaller than me, weighed less than me & can do that kind of thing) and my face was planted in the circle where my cheeks were practically touching.
 Mercy.
It was hilarious, and I laughed the whole way home. Jonny was less than amused. I don't like when he is sick, he doesn't think I am as funny. 

Anyways, it was an interesting weekend. Not one for the books, but oh well.
The Lord gently reminded me that in my toiling and my striving, I am always looking for a "thank you" from Jonny; or "Ellie, your'e the best wife." Or flowers, or a surprise date.
Which I forgot to mention that moment. I'm literally laughing as I write this.
We were sitting in the parking lot waiting for our massage appointment and I was scrolling through groupon. Jonny says "Ellie I was going to take you to Catalina this weekend since there was that groupon for it, but since I'm sick I didn't end up doing it."

Little note to self: if you can't take your wife on a date because you are sick. DON'T TELL HER.
Keep it a surprise for when you AREN'T sick. It's okay though,  we will be in counseling for the rest of our lives over my expectations. But I'm getting better. At least I didn't expect a trip to Catalina. But now I do, since I know it's possibly coming. God bless my husband. The poor man, he tries so hard.

Long story short. I'm learning I'm a failure & I have deep struggles. I want to be noticed, I want to be appreciated. I struggle with doing things "for the glory of the Lord, not for men." Lord have mercy, I am learning so much about myself. This weekend was definitely a learning curve for me. When my husband is sick, it's my honor to serve him. This weekend it felt more like a chore, I did everything but not with a joyful heart, and if I could go back, I would re-do it. But I can't, I know that grace covers this sinner, and I am so grateful for Jesus and the cross. Thankful that He loves me enough to teach me that I am wrong, and can do better, for my good & His glory. For now I am hoping that Jonny gets better & I lose my attitude. Also, that the woman from the massage place enjoyed her Chinese tea.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Pregnant

Thursday Morning Walks

A 3 Year Old Ring